Tuesday, April 23, 2013

If You Succeed at Failing, are You a Failure or a Success?




OK, I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse here about people's qualifications to manage. No, what I'm *really* trying to do is make plausible excuses for the abysmal job I've done over the past two years.

And the reality is that this situation says as much about how (given budget and resource cuts over the past several years) we've had to make do with the resources we have instead of hiring people specifically qualified to do what we need. Even if we could hire someone, there's no way we could offer enough in either salary or opportunities to complete with the outside world. Instead we have to try to make lemonade from the lemons we have for employees.

Hrm... somehow that didn't quite come out the way I wanted.

Anyway, you get my point, which is obviously "life sucks".

*Ah... FingerPoints. Two and a half years ago, when I wrote the set of cartoons about being put in charge of "FingerPoints" (here's the first cartoon in the series), I could only fantasize about how bad managing the FingerPoints project could be. The reality, it would turn out, was much, much worse. But that's the topic of another TFRL.


No comments: