Thursday, May 30, 2013

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream










Well, now you don't have to come to my HighEdWebWest keynote because you know that there aren't any silver bullets to changing your organizational culture.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always worry about my presentations bombing, particularly when I'm under pressure to give an "amazing speech". Given that my keynote is only a few days away and I am almost wholly unprepared, I'm sure I'll be pulling some all-nighters to be as ready as possible.

On a serious note, I've worked in higher education for the majority of my adult life. The disconnect between the importance of what we do in higher education (from a societal perspective) and the levels of cultural dysfunction demonstrated at all levels in academia (including IT) is criminal.

I honestly don't have a 'big picture' solution, but I do think that it is time to call out this dysfunction exactly for what it is. What do they say in AA? The first step to getting cured is realizing you have a problem? Well, we need to start talking about culture and dysfunction in higher education in clear terms. Recognizing that we have cultural dysfunction is the first step to addressing it.

If you are interested in making higher education a better place to work, come to my keynote next Monday at HighEdWeb West.

No comments: